Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Jaime's Josephine Top

Rae of Made by Rae makes awesome patterns. Her patterns tend to be simple to sew and flattering to wear - the perfect combination for anyone looking to get into garment sewing. We carry and love her Washi dress pattern which has a cult following among indie sewists. Her newest pattern, Josephine, caught my eye immediately and I couldn't wait to stitch this up.

Pattern: Josephine by Made by Rae
Fabric: La Venta voile print, 1 3/4 yds
Size and style made: view c, small with A-B cup
Alterations: none
Josephine features pin-tuck pleats on the front for a sophisticated, feminine look. The pattern comes in 3 variations - I can't wait to sew them all! For my first go, I made the sleeveless variation which also features front and side vents.


I choose to use one of our new voiles from Cloud 9's Palos Verdes collection by Leslie Shewring. These organic cotton voiles have a lovely hand and I was super excited to sew one up as a garment. This print - La Venta - was my favorite from the beginning so it was an easy choice. The voile fabric is soft and light, perfect for the feminine design of the pattern.


One of my favorite things about this pattern is two cup-options. Each size can be made in A-B or C-D cup. Brilliant! So many patterns tend to be loose on me in the chest, so it was awesome to try the smaller cup size option. I love the fit! The pattern was easy to sew up and Rae has helpful tips, tricks and tutorials throughout the pattern for those new to garment sewing. If you're more confident with garment construction, you can breeze though this top in just a few hours.


Josephine is currently only available as a digital pdf pattern here, but we have our fingers crossed we'll be carrying it in print version soon. I know I'm going to be making more of these and I'm excited to explore the variations - nice work, Rae!

3 comments:

Rae said...

I love it!!!! so glad you guys dig the pattern!! it's on our short list of patterns to print. :)

Unknown said...

I love this my pattern. Where can I get it?

Jo Robertson (thejoyofthehousetomyself) said...

I'm going to make this but wondered why the sleeveless version doesn't use the elastic casing at the back like the sleeved one. Any ideas how this would look? I prefer a fitted look.