Friday, July 19, 2013

Better Know A Fancy Tigress: Katy Osterwald

Katy is one crafty lady and one of the tigers of Fancy Tiger. She is our resident expert cross-stitcher as well as one fantastic knitter. She recently whipped up Brooklyn Tweed's Bolt shawl, designed by Veera Välimäki. We love its stripedy goodness!

Katy Osterwald

Tell us about your craft-tastic self.
I'm one of the fabulous Fancy Tigresses! I went to art school for fine art photography, and somehow stumbled my way into craft world post-graduation which I really love and want to be involved in forever. I've always been creative in one way or another, but crafting suits my tactile building side, and also lets me be a bit of a perfectionist. I've been knitting for ages, and cross stitching for longer, and since working at Fancy I've been getting into sewing and quilting, and have started my own Etsy business selling project bags for knitters (ModularModular). Soon I will be doing ALL THE CRAFTY THINGS!


Tell us about knitting your shawl. 
I just finished knitting this shawl and couldn't be happier with it! The pattern is Bolt by Veera Valimaki, and can be found in Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People Vol. 5. I used MadelineTosh Sock in Onyx and Nassau Blue, which is one of my favorite yarns ever. I did modify the pattern a bit, I really wanted to showcase the vibrant blue so I did my short row wedges a bit differently to make bolder stripes, and switched the colors around as I felt like it instead of following the main color and contrast color guidelines in the pattern. I've knitted many things over the years, but shawls are my favorite. I usually have at least 6 shawls on the needles at once!


How did you pick up knitting?
I learned to knit from my younger sister. She is an incredible professional costumer for movie and tv shows now, but when we were small and just learning things, she taught herself how to knit so she could make one thing for a costume. I was 15 or 16 at the time, and thought it looked fun, so I asked her to teach me. Fast-forward a dozen years, and I knit all the time and she hasn't touched knitting needles since. I repay her by making her lovely knit items for birthdays and holidays all the time.


What is your favorite animal?
Oh gosh, so hard to pick just one, I'm a bit of a science nerd and get really fascinated with weird animals at times. I think my current favorite is the Potoo, they're a bird from South America related to nightjars and frogmouths and have really funny and expressive huge yellow eyes. Besides unusual animals, I like ferrets, parakeets and dogs.

Thanks Katy! Happy knitting and stitching and all the crafty things!

1 comment:

Amy Y said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!