Thursday, March 24, 2011

Better Know A Crafter: Rachael Hamilton


Rachael is a needlefelting superstar. She has been buying up every last bit our beige Corriedale wool roving. We finally found out what she's been up to when she walked into the store dwarfed by the gigantic troll doll friend that she has been working on. We were like, "Wha-what-what!?" This enormous woolly needlefelted troll is an amazing thing to behold.

Rachael Hamilton



1) What kinds of crafts do you do?
I have been a sculptor for about seven years, but this is my first time using wool and felting. I am a sculptor major at Metro State and will soon be working on my MFA. I have always been crafty and after this experience I think I will be more fiber based.

2) Tell us about making your troll friend.
The troll was for a project in my fiber arts class at Metro. The theme was "the everyday and the sublime" so I decided to make a large troll. I built an armature and fiberfill and then needlefelted over top of it. The whole process was a learning experience. I had never needlefelted before.


3) How did you pick up your crafty skills?
I had to learn to felt, both wet and dry, as a requirement for this project. Because we had to use this technique I did my best to learn as I went. Fancy Tiger was a huge help in my process.


4) What is your favorite animal?
I love pandas and red pandas.

Thanks Rachael! Happy sculpting!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is EPIC! I'm moving to Denver soon, and you guys are high on my list of things to do in my new city.

Anonymous said...

OK, that is just awesome. Seriously awesome. :-D

Pink said...

Whuuuu!? I love it! But I think having it in my house might make it hard to sleep at night...

Fancy Tiger Crafts said...

I know, Pink. It kind of felt like its eyes were following us while it was in the store...

Cloudberry said...

Cool!!

Anonymous said...

awesome! is it for sale??

wannabe1484@aol.com