Friday, January 22, 2010

Emily's Entrelac Hat

Entrelac is so superfun. The technique is based on picking up stitches from the side of one square and then knitting a new square. Have you heard the expression, "let me finish this row" or "just one more round"? You will be saying the same thing, "just one more square". These little squares are so addictive, they definitely kept me up at night. So fun!



I learned entrelac using the instructions found at KnittyOtter's blog (pdf link) and then made the Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole found in Scarf Style by Pam Allen. But that got me thinking... wouldn't entrelac in the round be fun? What about a super-cute entrelac tam? Inspired by KnitterNutter's Entrelac Cap, I decided to try the tubular cast on... with black yarn and poor lighting. May I again suggest: when learning a new technique, use light colored yarn! There was quite a bit of cussing and frogging, but the tubular cast on is so very beautiful, and makes a piece that much more professional.


I used the Malabrigo Silky Merino in two colors and my hat is so soft and satin-y! You can see me sporting this hat at Fancy Tiger Crafts and maybe teaching an enterlac class this spring?!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Loverly!

TMAR said...

Love the blog!

Cynthia said...

Emily's a genius!